Wednesday, September 24, 2008

BP Lesson 4: Tarts

In this lesson, Chef H showed us the following tarts:
* Apple Tart (pate brisee, apple compote, topped with sliced apples)
* Strawberry Tart (pate sucree, mousseline cream, strawberries, Chantilly cream finish)
* Lemon Tart (pate sucree, almond cream, lemon cream [aka lemon curd], Italian meringue, decorated with sliced almond)

In the practicals, we had to make the lemon tart, which is apparently a popular restaurant dessert in France.

Below is a photo of my lemon tart. I'm generally happy with it, since it is my first effort. Chef CF's feedback was that the meringue should have been slightly stiffer, and the tart shell was a touch too brown on the edges. I personally think my lemon curd was a bit soft too.

The good thing was, my tart shell did not crack after baking. I'm particularly glad about that, because I know it was a problem for some of the students in the other group.



Anyway, I know what I need to do to improve the lemon tart, especially in terms of technique and timing. It has been a good learning process.

PS. I burnt my knuckles in the oven while removing the lemon tart at the end. It is only a few tiny blisters, so I will be fine. I dipped my hand in an ice bath as soon as I got home, and it helped. It is certainly a lot less painful than when I was burnt by hot oil spatters in the home kitchen. Some other people in my practical class burnt their hands too. It's all part of becoming a pastry chef, I guess. Better to learn the "hard/painful lessons" now than during the exam.