Thursday, February 26, 2009

IP Lesson 17: Triple Chocolate Bavaroise

Last night, Chef N did the demo on the Triple Chocolate Bavaroise cake, and it is a triple (white, milk and dark) chocolate bavarian mousse cake, with a lady finger base at the bottom.

I made the cake in my practical this morning, but I was not impressed with my own effort. Here's what I ended up with:


My full-size Triple Chocolate Bavaroise, with chocolate fan decorations


A mini triple chocolate bavaroise, used for plated dessert. Here, it is held together by a sheet of acetate, and you can see the layering -- dark chocolate at the bottom, then milk chocolate, then white chocolate, and topped with a chocolate glaze and chocolate fan decorations. It was so hard to keep the mousse from melting onto the plate...

The chocolate fan decorations were made with melted chocolate pasted onto ice-cold marble boards, and then scraped off and shaped into fans. It was the first time I have seen this done. Chef N made it look simple, but it was not easy.

I find this cake too troublesome and difficult to make in 2.5 hours. My cake turned out ok (with a few minor problems that I can fix the next time I make it, e.g. imbibe the lady finger base with more syrup), but I didn't enjoy the experience much. But then, it could be because I was sleep-deprived this morning -- a housemate came home at 2am last night and woke me up by talking loudly outside my room. I ended up not being able to go back to sleep until 5am, and my practical was at 8:15am. /sigh/

Anyway, I am not a big fan of this dessert (I don't like the gelatin in the chocolate mousse), so I gave my cake away to a friend, who told me it was her favorite cake. I am glad someone can enjoy the cake/dessert.