Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My First Day of Stage (Internship)

Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa encourages its Intermediate and Superior Pastry students to undertake stage (French for "internship") at local pastry shops or restaurants to gain more practical experience. Earlier this month, I applied for an internship at a local chocolate shop, and was fortunate enough to get it.

Today I began my once-a-week internship at Stubbe Chocolates (a small family business specialising in chocolates and cakes), and it was a wonderful learning experience. I am so glad to have this opportunity to practise my skills in a real-life pastry kitchen, and to learn from some of the leading pastry chefs in the industry here.

I didn't work with chocolates this time, but I made many small florentines, a batch of pastry cream and a dozen flourless hazelnut cakes instead. It took me a while to get into a rhythm, but the supervising chef was really patient with me (she was also good at explaining what needed to be done). I know I was really slow at first (and I almost burnt the first batch of florentines), but I gradually got the hang of it...

In my opinion, Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa teaches good techniques, but one still has to get some real-life experience by working in a kitchen outside of school. And a reputable business with mentors who are generous with their time is a real bonus.

-------------
PS. My stage at Stubbe Chocolate Shop was arranged by LCB Ottawa, therefore I am covered by the School's insurance should anything untoward happen (e.g. workplace accidents, liabilities). The fact that LCB Ottawa arranges stage for their students was one of the reasons why I chose to study at this School.