Saturday, March 21, 2009

"Man" and "Menace", Spontaneity, and Other Tales

Someone I know told me she had a dream last night, and in her dream, she was explaining to someone that "man" is a singular noun, and its plural form is "menace". It was hilarious!!!

But maybe it sort of makes sense too, if you know what I mean. :D

*********************

During the reception after the graduation ceremony yesterday, Chef B (cuisine chef) said something to me that stuck in my mind. One of my housemates wanted a photo with Chef B, and I agreed to help her take the photo. But people were milling around, so I waited for people to clear the space between me and my housemate (in order to get a good shot). Chef B commented that I should be more spontaneous, meaning I should take the photo as soon as I see an opportunity. That was the comment that stuck in my mind.

Spontaneity... Some people find it difficult to be spontaneous. I think I am one of them. After 20 years of learning to be meticulous, careful and disciplined, spontaneity does not come easily to me. Yet I admit culinary creativity does require the ability to be spontaneous, in addition to the discipline required to maintain culinary techniques and standards.

Kitchens are a whole different world from Academia. I suffered culture shock when I first arrived in Canada (as most international students would initially), but I also suffered another kind of "culture shock" when I stepped into the kitchens at School (kitchen culture). When people experience culture shock, it is a natural tendency to stick to their comfort zones, just to avoid being overwhelmed.

I have had to learn a whole new set of skills, and even unlearn some of the things much valued in another arena. At the very least, I've already learnt to lighten up a lot since attending LCB Ottawa. I know it is going to take a bit longer to be more spontaneous, but I am in no hurry. As long as I am aware of what is required, I will work towards a goal.

Sometimes, that is all you need from a teacher or a mentor, to move through an impasse. A comment to make you think about how you could do things differently. Or gentle prodding to make you change certain undesirable habits.

********************

I went clubbing for the first time in my life last night. A whole bunch of us LCB students went to Foundation (a nightclub in the Market area) to celebrate and to unwind from a hectic and high-pressure week. It was nice to see some of the chefs there. Drinking, dancing and socialising...

I had a couple of martinis (i.e. more than one), and danced like I'd never done before... It was such a novel experience for me. I am glad I got all of the nervous energy (from the practical exam) out of my system.

Came home with some of my housemates at 1:30am and stayed up chatting till 3am. We just had a great time!

I woke up this morning with a mild headache (not a hangover, mind you), but I felt better after a few glasses of water and a decent meal.

Looking forward to next term. Classes start on 31 March. Between now and then, I have stage at Stubbe Chocolates, and some free time to relax. I will also volunteer in Production Kitchen for one or two days.