Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Last Day of Stage (Marzipan Fruits)

Today was my last day of stage at Stubbe Chocolates, and I spent the better part of the day making the following marzipan fruits. It was a really interesting practical experience...


Marzipan apples, strawberries and apricots


Marzipan oranges and lemons


Marzipan pears, apples, strawberries and apricots

What I learnt about making all these marzipan fruits is how to capture the most prototypical features of each fruit and reproducing them in marzipan form with just a few efficient movements with my hands (plus some air-brushing). For example, the shape (e.g. apricots are round and have an indent across the middle of the fruits), the texture (e.g. sugar coating for strawberries), and the colours/shades (e.g. a slight red blush on the cheeks of the apricots, which are basically yellow-orange in colour).

Acknowledgment: My heartfelt thanks and gratitude to Chef Heinrich Stubbe and everyone at Stubbe Chocolates for all the time, energy and resources you had committed to teaching me (and many other aspiring pastry chefs/students) so many efficient mass production skills and techniques with chocolate work. I am glad I was given the opportunity to experience what a real-life chocolate shop and pastry kitchen is like. I shall never forget this special experience.